Many international students dream of pursuing higher studies in a developed nation because it provides the opportunity to obtain a quality education, explore the culture, have plenty of employment options, meet new people worldwide and more.
To experience these things, the student needs to process their visa applications. Before processing, one must purchase adequate health insurance as it will provide coverage of hospital and medical expenses during their stay in the developed nation.
Health insurance is needed because it decreases the financial risk of international students in developed nations. For instance, if someone plans to migrate to Australia, the student is required to purchase adequate health insurance per the Australian Government’s guidelines. If someone does not buy, they will become ineligible to process their visa applications.
What is Overseas Student Health Cover?
Overseas student health cover is one of the mandatory and affordable covers for international students; it is designed to meet visa requirements and provides coverage for mental health, sports, maternity, and more. Many health insurance companies offer various ranges of insurance plans and levels.
For example, if one is planning to migrate to Australia, he/she is required to buy Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), as per the Australian Government guidelines. It covers the hospital and medical expenses of the person during their stay in Australia.
Why do International Students need OSHC?
OSHC policy will provide coverage of unwanted financial risks one may face because of untoward incidents while studying overseas, as we know, in developed nations like Australia, the US, Europe, etc. Hospital and medical costs can be very expensive for overseas students. The Government asks students to purchase a health insurance policy for their entire duration of stay.
International students can get the best medical treatment without worrying about the cost because of the OSHC policy. Health cover offers primary benefits, like accidental injuries, medical treatments, non-medical expenses, doctor visits, ambulance services, some hospital treatments and medications.
What will OSHC Policy Not Cover?
Some of the things not covered by the international student health cover are as follows.
- Medicare and the medical services advisory committee do not approve or recognise some treatments.
- Cosmetic surgery is not clinically necessary, and Medicare’s benefits are not payable.
- Travelling without a physician’s consent
- Experimental treatment
- Non-emergency ambulance transportation
- Injuries and illnesses because of self-infliction
- Assisted reproductive and IVF services
- Any treatments obtained outside of Australia
- Pre-planned treatments or pre-existing medical diseases
- Drugs or alcohol abuse
- Venereal diseases
- Extras services like dental, optical or physiotherapy
How to Determine the Cost of Health Insurance?
- OSHC policy has three different types: single, couple and family. The cost of these three types is different from each other, as the price of a single will be lower than the cost of a couple and family OSHC policy.
- Through OSHC policy, one can decide whether they want to purchase some extra benefits or not. Optical, dental, or physiotherapy will also be covered in extra benefits, but the student must pay extra for these benefits.
- The duration of stay will also affect the cost of OSHC policy as the policy will cover the stay duration. The longer the stay, the higher the price; the shorter the stay, the lower the price. It means the policy cost will increase according to the increasing number of months.
- In addition, one should also compare oshc health insurance while buying the OSHC policy. There are many health insurance providers, but choosing a suitable and affordable policy will be better.
Maintaining adequate health insurance is needed while studying abroad because it will provide coverage for various kinds of medical and hospital expenses during the international student’s stay in a foreign country. Do not forget to compare the policy before purchasing health insurance. The student must first contact different providers. And know about the health insurance policy and the conditions and then buy the suitable one according to their profile and budget.
We would like to suggest a third-party company named Budget Policy; they are associated with top leading health insurance providers and assist thousands of students around the world in buying suitable OSHC policy at affordable prices according to their profile.